On YouTube, Simon Sinek spoke of the following things he wished he had known when he was younger:
1. Perspective Matters – Sinek tells the story of the bagel. He had just finished a marathon and there were free bagels. He tried to get his friend to get some but his friend said the line up was too long. After many attempts, Sinek just reached between two people and grabbed two bagels. You see, these were two perspectives. You can get what you want or you can see what’s in your way. Always get what you want without hurting someone else.
2. Say To Yourself, “This is exciting!” Whenever you feel nervous about doing something, say, “This is exciting” and you’ll be fine.
3. See the Bagel – Be focused on your goals instead of the effect. There will always be challenges, but if you stay focused on your goals, you will surmount the challenges.
4. Listen First, Speak Last – Make others feel that their views are heard. Sinek tells the story of Nelson Mandela who is universally regarded as a great leader because he learned to speak last from his father.
5. Be Relaxed So Others are Relaxed – Don’t panic. Sinek tells the story of his trip to Afghanistan. He decided to serve those who serve others. This helped him live a life fulfilled and enjoyable.