Since my goal is to reach out and connect, mentor and lead others to be Mindful Leaders, I’m already a great fan of the book, Visible Learning for Literacy. The authors, Fisher, Frey and Hattie think visible learning for literacy is important for the following reasons:
1. Literacy is among the major antidotes for poverty.
2. Literacy makes your life better.
3. Literate people have more choices in their work and personal lives, leading to greater freedom.
4. Literacy is great at teaching you how to think successively – that is, making meaning one step at a time to then build a story.
5. Literacy soon becomes the currency of other learning.
Why do we have a society where some students don’t become literate and what’s the solution to “Every student deserves a great teacher, not by chance, but by design.”?