I received a brilliant email from Gavin McCormack which talks about a child’s emotional cup. He states that when a child’s emotional cup is approaching empty, we may see some of the following behaviours:
– attention seeking behaviour to alert us that they need a refill.
– think they have to fight flight to get a refill.
– demonstrate a sense of anxiety once they approach empty.
What causes an empty cup?
– stress and pressure to achieve
– being forced to do something they hate
What refills a child’s emotional cup?
– one on one time together
– love and affection
– being given the choice to do what they want to do