Gavin McCormack emailed me an interesting article on how much we can learn from our students. Sometimes educators feel superior to their students but we can learn a lot from them if we observe them, especially our youngest students.
To name a few things we can learn:
– They never shy away from showing their emotions. It’s all on the table.
– They’ll tell you how they feel without fear of judgment.
– They will say statements like ‘Will you be my friend’ or ‘Can I play with you?’
– They can learn multiple languages without even trying.
– They sleep anywhere and whenever they need it.
– They demand a high level of engagement and they are very keen to learn.
– They bring no ego to the table. It’s all important.
– They love unconditionally.
– They’ll tell you how it is, they’re honest and don’t hold back.
– They know how to laugh and play and run freely, jumping in puddles and igniting their senses.
If anything, the children in our care are our greatest teachers, we have a lot to learn.