Gavin McCormack posted 5 valuable ways to develop independence in our students:
1. Have an ‘independence’ plan for the week. Eg. Monday – nouns, Tuesday 3D Shapes, etc.
2. Make sure that when you deliver each lesson, that you include a tactile exercise that assists the learning of each lesson.
3. Model how to use the material explicitly, state your expectations clearly and model the way you will want them record their answers.
4. Allow students to work independently with you observing, only answering questions they ask.
5. Prepare the environment by laying out the materials they have mastered and as they ”Good Morning, I’ve put 3D shapes on your desks. Please get started by recording your answers. I’ll be teaching a lesson at 10am.