Do you ever feel out of balance? We have 4 parts to our balance that are like the wheels of a car, our heart, mind, body and soul. If we pay attention to all four of them daily, we feel in balance and happy and successful. If we rather pay attention to one or two of them and forget about the others, we are off balance and could feel lethargic, moody, grumpy, out of sorts, you name it. Covey’s story of Sophie and her lack of energy, children will learn about how important it is to take care of all of ourselves, body, mind heart and soul. There are probably other books that show how important it is to live a balanced life, like exercising, reading, being creative, and enjoying the sights and sounds around us in nature. Read Sophie’s story and challenge the students with the following activities:
- For two nights in a row, go to bed early and see how great your body feels.
- For a whole week, read for 20 minutes every day.
- Today, go play with someone who you haven’t played with before or for a long time.
- Go to one of your favourite spots in nature, like a mountain, a park, or a stream. When you get there, think about all the things in your life that make you happy, like your grandma, your dog, a fun toy, or playing with your friend.
- Upon challenging the students with the above ideas, get them to write, draw or share how they have taken care of each of their four parts, body, mind, heart and soul that week. Talk about how these activities can become habits.